Microsoft provides Outlook with a free utility tool that is known as Scanpst tool. This tool is capable of repairing all possible issues with PST files. Scanpst is one of the very popular inbuilt tools that scan the structure of corrupted files and repair them. Sometime scanpst.exe gets corrupted due to various reasons then it gives an error message, “Scanpst.exe Fails With Fatal Error 80040818”. It makes your all data inaccessible. Therefore it is essential to fix this problem before you lose all your data permanently.
Some of the possible reason behind scanpst fatal error: 80040818 are mentioned below:
- Oversized PST files (more than 2GB): if the Size of PST file increased then the chance of corruption become high.
- Sudden system shutdown: sometimes, while working in outlook, a sudden system shutdown can lead to corruption in Outlook PST file.
- Dreadful virus and spyware attack– Due to the unwanted virus in your configured system can corrupt your hard drive portion where PST file is stored.
Therefore, it is very necessary to overcome this error of Outlook before it damaged all your data severely. If you want to fix this problem then fix it with the help of Outlook PST repairing tool.
Steps to Recover scanpst fatal error: 80040818 PST Files
Microsoft Outlook PST files are considered as a important part of Outlook. PST (Personal Storage files ) stores all the important data associated with the program like contacts, calendars, email, personal folder, emails etc. These files get reloaded after every system restart. Being an Outlook user, you might have went through the situation where you are unable to access any of your saved files heading you towards severe data loss. Well, this is one among common problem for every Outlook user. Read the complete post to know complete solution of this very issue.
Common Causes of PST Corruption
Here we will discuss about all the possible factors which leads to pst file in-accessibility issue. File corruption can be a mysterious problem caused by several actions. Sometimes, simply moving files from one place to another or from storage media to a computer can cause file corruption. If Outlook has been updated but the upgrade is not fully completed, you may encounter problems. Your computer may have been improperly shut down, such as a power outage or a power outage. Computers can sometimes be mysterious.
Damaged Networking Devices: If network cards, routers, cables, and hubs are not functioning properly while accessing PST files from client computers using network links, PST files can be easily corrupted.
Data Storage Error: This problem can occur because the original files stored on the hard disk may be damaged due to bad sectors.
Power Failure Issue: If the power supply is interrupted while accessing the PST file, it may be the main cause of PST file corruption.
- data in-accessibility occurs due to improper shut down
- corruption of Control Data Extension
- imperfect or incomplete Outlook program
- while compacting of your pst files
- due to virus and spyware infection
- and sometimes due to size of pst file
Common List of Error Messages in Outlook PST Files
- Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience
- Errors have been detected in the file xxxx.pst. Quit Outlook and all mail-enabled applications, and then use the Inbox Repair Tool (Scanpst.exe) to diagnose and repair errors in the file. For more information about the Inbox Repair Tool, see Help
- Unable to display the folder. The file xxxx.pst could not be accessed
- Outlook 2010: Internal MAPI Error: The profile does not contain the requested service. Contact your Admin
- The file xxxx.pst could not be found
- This application failed to start because mapi32.dll was not found. Re-installing the software may fix this problem
- File xxxx.pst could not be accessed. Data error. Cyclic redundancy check
- The file xxxx.pst is not a personal folders file
Manual Procedure to Repair and Recover Outlook PST File
If you are annoyed with PST file corruption and want to recover it immediately, you can go for Inbox Repair Tool which is also known as Scanpst.exe. It is an inbuilt tool of Microsoft to recover in-accessible pst files. But as like other freewares even Inbox Repair Tool have some limitations.
File Location of Inbox Repair Tool ( Microsoft Outlook Version Wise)
For Outlook 2016:
32-bit Windows: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16\
64-bit Windows: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16
For Outlook 2013
32-bit Windows: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\
64-bit Windows: C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\
64-bit Outlook: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\
For Outlook 2010
32-bit Windows: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\
64-bit Windows: C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\
64-bit Outlook: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\
For Outlook 2007
32-bit Windows: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\
64-bit Windows: : C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\
For Outlook 2003
32-bit Windows: C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\<locale ID>\
64-bit Windows: C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\<locale ID>\
For Outlook 2002/XP
C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MAPI\<locale ID>\
For Outlook 2000
C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MAPI\<locale ID>\NT\scanpst.exe
For Outlook 97/98
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Windows Messaging\scanpst.exe
Limitations of Inbox Repair Tool
- It fails to recover or repair Oversized pst file.
- Scanpst.exe sometimes stop working in between the recovery process, leading you towards data loss.
Easiest Way to Fix PST Issues
If you fails to recover severe damaged PST file with Inbox Repair Tool, you can try the amazing Outlook PST Repair Tool which is one best way to recover PST files. This very software is capable to repair severely damaged, corrupted, deleted, lost and all the in-accessible PST file in its original version.
PST Repair Tool is incredibly best solution to solve all the PST problems and issues in few step. The only thing you have to do is follow the below given instruction and easily install the software to make your PST files accessible. This is the most accurate choice to fix errors displaying PST files on a Windows computer or laptop running Windows 8, 7, XP, Vista, Server 2003 and Server 2008 operating systems. It has the ability to modify and display a copy of the PST file without changing the scanned corrupted PST file.
Stellar Phoenix PST Repair utility can search for deleted or lost email, tasks, contacts, calendar items, RSS feeds, personal folders, mailbox folders, and other Outlook attributes in PST files. Users can modify corrupt or damaged Outlook data files in PST files and OST files on PCs in MS Outlook versions such as Outlook 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013 and 2016. You can use the demo to view information about restored items in the corrupted PST file. Activate the full version to save the repaired PST file.
Some Effective Features of Outlook scanpst fatal error: 80040818 Repair Tool
- It is capable to recover damaged, corrupt, deleted and even lost PST files
- easily repair large pst file – no any size limitations
- recover deleted and password protected Outlook mails.
- Support recovery of both ANSI and UNICODE PST
- allow you to split pst file to manage space.
- capable to recover deleted and even password protected PST file
Supported Windows Versions – Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, 8 and 10
Supported Outlook Versions – Outlook 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013 and 2016
How to Install Stellar Phoenix PST Repair Tool
Step 1: When you start the software, the home screen appears. There are two options: “Select Outlook file” and “Find Outlook file.” If you know the location of the file, select “Select Outlook file” otherwise click “Find Outlook File” to find the path to the file.
Step 2: Click the “Look in” option to search for the drive location.
Step 3: When you start scanning, the software searches for files in all folders and subfolders. You can view the file in the “Find Results” section. Select the file you want to repair and click the “Start” button.
Step 4: After selecting the file, click the “Scan Now” button to start the recovery process.
Step 5: You can see a preview of the file in “Outlook Mail Preview Window”.
Step 6: Select the file or folder to recover and click the “Saved Repaired File” button. Finally, click the OK button.
Step 7: The process bar shows the calibration status of the file.
Step 8: Check the target location to view the saved file.
So, what are you waiting for, go for this awesome Outlook scanpst fatal error: 80040818 PST Repair Tool and make all the important documents, emails, calendar, notes accessible without any data loss.